Water Young Reporters Program
2013 - 2014
The project aimed to empower and create a network of young passionate reporters capable of reporting on water issues in Jordan. The project was accomplished through video and photographic essays under the umbrella of the Foundation for Environmental Education’s Water Young Reporters Project, which is a division of the Young Reporters for the Environment.
This project was considered to be the first of its kind in the Middle East. It succeeded in equipping a group of 480 school students with a set of skills in different journalism fields in order to develop media products, come up with feasible solutions, and raise awareness about water issues in Jordan. These goals are intended to help fight the water scarcity problems in Jordan, help people to take a proactive approach in becoming a part of the solution, and show people how easily change can be implemented against a serious problem on a national level.
USAID/Public Action Project (PAP)
- Strengthened the capacity of 12 university students with a background in water and environmental science who will serve as role mentors in the project.
- Signed 60 commitment letters with schools in 3 provinces in Jordan.
- Conducted several workshops for 480 students to raise their knowledge and awareness about water issues and how to report on these issues.
- A total of 120 finished media products received, with 24 shortlisted products.
- Four winning media products.