Management of Local Fisheries in the Gulf of Aqaba
2014 - 2015
Fisheries in Jordan are poorly studied, and no management scheme is available to increase the sustainable yields derived from the fisheries, which would enhance the livelihoods of local fishermen in Aqaba. Therefore, an analysis of catch and effort data from fisheries is the basis for any regulatory system, and it was the base of initiating this project.
The project provided the possibility for JREDS to have reliable data on the status of fishing in Aqaba as a management tool, which ultimately aims to enhance sustainable fisheries in Jordan. The project's specific goals were:
- Improve data and information available for fisheries in the JREDS database on marine fisheries.
- Strengthen knowledge sharing and collaboration among various stakeholders involved with fisheries issues in Aqaba.
- Provide recommendations to decision makers on best solutions for sustainable fisheries in Aqaba.
- German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) through GIZ project: Protection of the Environment and Biodiversity in Jordan (PROTEB)
- The Regional Organization for the Conservation of the Environment of the Red Sea & Gulf of Aden (PERSGA)
- JREDS has become a national knowledge center for marine fisheries in Jordan, through the comprehensive information available in its database.