Our efforts are not only dedicated to the conservation of the extraordinary Marine environment in Jordan, but also to the people enjoying it, the economy which is based on it, and the communities who are relying on its ecosystems.
The Royal Marine Conservation Society of Jordan (JREDS) was founded in 1993 by a group of concerned Jordanian ecological divers, headed by HRH Princess Basma bint Ali, one of the first female divers in Jordan. The initiative, which started as a simple for-fun nature dive officially became the first specialized Jordanian non-profit, non-governmental organization dedicated to the conservation of the marine environment in 1995.
Since then, JREDS programming has developed from the implementation of a variety of activities to a more comprehensive way of thinking, resulting in the establishment of three distinct programs: Marine Conservation, Outreach & Advocacy and Sustainable Development.
At the highest level, the society is governed by its general assembly, which elects a board of seven directors every fourth year. The board of directors approves and appoints an Executive Director who is entrusted with the society’s day-to-day management functions. The Executive Director in turn is authorized to recruit a group of qualified and capable full-time and part-time staff members who form the working team that executes the society’s work and activities.
JREDS is working under a vision to become a "World-class” organization in marine conservation for future generations in Jordan. JREDS aims to contribute to the conservation and sustainable use of the marine environment in Jordan through implementing its programs successfully. Therefore, strategic directions have been established as follows:
- Develop and implement marine conservation programs.
- Involve and empower the community in marine conservation efforts through education and awareness programs, with special emphasis on the youth.
- Contribute to the efforts of sustainable use of the marine environment in Jordan through integrating environmental conservation with socio-economic development.
- Develop and implement environmental advocacy programs through networking with national, regional and global partners.
- Develop the institutional, technical and financial capacity of JREDS to maximize brand quality.
Over the years, JREDS has become a well-established organization with a strong reputation, and is currently ranked as a leading institution not only in Jordan, but at regional and international levels as well.