Out to Sea... Plastic Garbage
2014 - 2015
"Out to Sea... Plastic Garbage" was a regional project implemented in partnership with Morocco, Lebanon and Egypt. It aimed to show the link between products we use daily and our behavior regarding solid plastic garbage and the growing plastic pollution of the world’s oceans, in addition to its negative effects. The project succeeded in implementing several initiatives including an exhibition of plastic garbage, cleanup campaigns, research, educational material, environmental awareness and the promotion of environmental conscious messages. The following objectives were achieved over the project period:
- Ensure the design and implementation of the exhibition venue follows the necessary standards
- Create awareness that plastic garbage has a negative effect on the marine ecological, social and economic aspects of the Gulf of Aqaba
- Adopt positive changes through interactive educational activities, raising awareness and knowledge of the negative effects of plastic garbage
- Ensure the integration of project activities with private businesses enrolled with different activities such as recycling, Green Key and Blue Flag programs in best practices of plastic use and management
- Collect scientific information to aid the design of the exhibition
Drosos Foundation in Cooperation with the Museum fuer Gestaltung in Zurich
- Established first plastic garbage exhibition at the national level, with more than 5,000 visitors from Jordan and other countries.
- More than 75 media channels at the local, national, regional and international levels covered the exhibition.
- Developed scientific reports on garbage at Aqaba beaches, which increased awareness and knowledge at the national level.