Clean Up the World Campaign
Every year, began 27 years ago
The story of JREDS began with a cleanup campaign in 1993 when a group of responsible people headed by HRH Princess Basma bint Ali joined the international Clean Up the World campaign community. Since then, JREDS has been considered the focal national institution to run this campaign in Aqaba and has succeeded so far in implementing this campaign on an annual basis. The campaign is performed in coordination with a wide range of stakeholders including the government, the public, and the private sector. Also, NGOs, CBOs, schools, youth as well as thousands of volunteers and marine devotees are actively engaged.
The International Clean Up the World campaign is held under the auspices of the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) and attracts more than 35 million volunteers from over 130 countries each year, sharing the same vision of a cleaner and healthier environment.
The goal of the JREDS annual campaign is to create a culture of enhanced awareness among Jordanians to fight against the harmful effects of litter on the marine environment, human health, and the economy. The campaign aims to:
- Enhance the awareness of the harmful effects of plastic waste on environmental, social, and economic systems among Jordanian society and decision-makers.
- Protect sensitive and fragile habitats as well as various extraordinary creatures living in the Gulf of Aqaba.
- Provide a clean and healthy environment in the Gulf of Aqaba, the only sea outlet in Jordan.
- Promote the understanding of "Healthy environment means Healthy Life" and emphasize the social responsibility of all individuals toward the environment and the necessity to conserve it.
- Direct the attention of decision-makers, governments, and industries towards the importance of the environment, and their responsibility for protecting it.
The campaign’s activities are countless and include educational programs, garbage collection, awareness-raising activities, creative competitions for recycling, and waste minimization projects.
- Arab Potash Company
- Ayla Oasis Development Company
- Aqaba Container Terminal Company
- Moevenpick Resort & Residences Aqaba
- Moevenpick Resort & Spa Tala Bay
- Orbaser Company
- Aqaba Water Company
- Aqaba Diving Association
- Al Manara, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Saraya Aqaba
- Hyatt Regency Aqaba Ayla Resort
- Saraya Aqaba Project
- PepsiCo International
- Aqaba Development Corporation
- ALEFCON LTD
- Aqaba Special Economic Zone Authority )ASEZA)
- Ministry of Education
- Voice of Aqaba Radio
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Aqaba
- Royal Yacht Club/Jordan
- AQABA Logistics Village (ALV)
- Housing Bank for Trade & Finance
- INTERCONTINENTAL AQABA (RESORT AQABA)
- Aqaba Gulf Hotel
- JETT (The Jordan Express Tourist Transportation Company)
- Jordanian Bus Company - Sariya Express
- Specialized Foundation for Tax & Financial Consultations
- Bank of HSBC
- Nestle Company
- Al-Marwah Company for Mineral Water
- Jordan-Qatar Company for ports ( Sun & Fun)
- Sariyah Express – Jordan Bus Company
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Ben Hayyan Aqaba International Laboratories
- Aqaba Port Corporation
- Ministry of Environment
- Lafarge –Jordanian Cement Company
- Sama for Food Industries
- Australian Embassy
- Roya TV
- Jordanian TV